How many people will be in the class?
Typically, our retreats on Maui are limited to 24 students but the instructor has final discretion on class size. International retreats may have different class size dependent on venue. Ho’omana is dedicated to the development of each student’s mind, body and spirit while ensuring a supportive and quality learning experience that inspires transformation.
Where can I find driving directions?
Ho’omana Spa Maui is located at 1550 Piiholo Road, Makawao, HI. Click here for detailed map directions.
What about accommodations during the retreat?
Ho’omana offers shared dorm-style housing for students who are enrolled in a Lomi course. Accommodations include bed, linens, towels, private bathroom, and kitchenette.
FEES: $60 per night, one time cleaning fee of $45 plus 13.42% tax. Accommodations are offered on a first come first serve basis and sell out every retreat. It is recommended to book early. See photos here.
Is food included in my retreat?
Students are responsible for providing their own meals and snacks during class. For those staying in our onsite accommodations, your cottage will have a kitchenette that contains cookware, dishes and utensils needed to prepare meals.
Do you offer financial assistance?
You are invited to apply for a scholarship based on specific criteria.
- Kanaka Scholarship. This scholarship provides up to 100% tuition and is awarded to individuals of Hawaiian ancestry who are committed to bringing these ancient teachings to their families, communities, or who are interested in being supported by a career that perpetuates these teachings into a modern context. Please inquire about application requirements.
- Tim Bresenden Memorial Scholarship. Offered as a loving tribute to a man who committed his life to serving his family, friends and the greater community by acting as a peacemaker and bridge-builder to bring together people from all walks of life. This auspicious award is given to one individual each year that aspires to exemplify this spirit of building community and inspires others by doing so. Scholarship includes NCBTMB-Approved 60 C.E. Units in Hawaiian healing bodywork, airfare and accommodations during our Lomi Lomi month-long immersion. Full details can be found on our website.
- Aloha Scholarship. This scholarship (up to $300USD) is offered throughout the year to anyone with a willing heart who is committed to bringing these ancient teaching to their families, communities, or who are interested in being supported by a career that perpetuates these teachings into a modern context. Please inquire about application requirements.
Is there an opportunity for work-trade?
Ho’omana does not offer work-trade. Try Work-away.com or Help-X.com which are both work trade opportunity offerings that can be found in near our location for people who wish to travel and work trade.
Do you offer payment plans?
Yes. Ho’omana offers a payment plan for all retreats. Information can be found on our registration page <insert link>. For those who request a payment plan for individual courses, a processing fee of 10% will be added and the total will be split into 3, equal payments.
I’ve taken Lomi Lomi before, do I still need to take the required pre-requisite – Ho’omana Lomi Lomi Fundamentals?
Ho’omana’s Lomi Lomi sources from the lineage of the Big Island. This Lomi Lomi comes from lineage holder Auntie Margaret Machado who has now passed on. The concepts held within this Lomi style are intended to bring the persons spirit, mindset and bones back into alignment. The foundational teachings in this practice is preparatory for a progression towards Ho’onohoiwi (bone setting) and is advanced in comparison to most level one trainings available. Our practitioners aspire to connect with the individual down to the level of the bones with this very specific and therapeutic work.
Foundational concepts are built upon incrementally in each level of our Lomi trainings therefore students are required to take the entry level course in order to avoid the feeling of overwhelm that comes from inexperience as well as the basic body mechanics necessary to avoid injury to themselves or their patients.
When Lomi is a path that you are passionate about, no training will be wasted but will all serve the greater understanding of the practice as a whole. Because you have learned in another lineage, it will assist you with a more rapid integration beginning with Lomi Lomi fundamentals.
We would be honored for you to join our courses and hope this explanation solidifies the reasons behind the pre-requisite of Lomi Fundamentals before progression into any further trainings.
Will I receive a certificate for my course?
After each course is completed, students receive a formal and certified certificate of completion with the Nationally Approved Provider verification information for continuing education units. Currently, we are certified with:
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork: http://www.ncbtmb.org/
- Massage Therapy Association of Alberta: www.mtaalberta.com
- Remedial Massage Therapy Association: http://rmta.ca/
- National Health Practitioners of Canada: www.nhpcanada.org
- Australia Association of Massage Therapists: https://aamt.com.au
- College of Massage Therapists of Ontario: www.cmto.com
Ho’omana is committed to expanding our network of accreditation. If there is an organization you would like us to contact, please inquire.
Do you offer anything besides shared, onsite accommodation?
It has been our experience having offered trainings at Ho’omana over more than 10 years, that shared accommodations have offered both support and reflection for what people come to Hoomana to discover. This will be a powerful journey that you will not be walking alone. The exact configuration of souls will arrive to accompany you on the healing path of transformation. We have a total of 7 spaces available on site and all are shared accommodations. These are also the first accommodations to sell out.
After these are taken, we refer people to off-site locations where the price point increases as well as cost for transport rental vehicles.
We are on a good bit of acreage with beautiful gardens, sitting areas, both inside and outside of our spaces. We also find the relationships that are cultivated here are ones that last well beyond the retreat.
Please let us know what we can do to best accommodate your time here.
I’d like to speak with someone. Can I contact you by phone?
It is our pleasure to schedule a call to answer any and all of your questions. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get right back to you!